Req: Total beginners help - Win Q.

Techie nomail at here.not.easynews.com
Thu Dec 22 00:59:54 UTC 2005

Danny Mayer <mayer at gis.net> wrote in news:doc5o5$19k0$1 at sf1.isc.org:

> Empty passwords cannot be used for a service. That's a Microsoft
> limitation.

True perhaps but even with a password entered into the installation, it
still does not run at all. Not until I changed it to run on local system
would the service start.

>> And as Danny Meyer said, I didn't read any application log file
>> because I have none of it. There is nothing stored logging anything
>> anywhere in the setup I did.
>>
> If you don't have an application event log, you need to create one.
> You need it, and not just for BIND.
>
>> Not even in the Document and settings folder, where the app logs
>> should be located. So, not much to read in other words. :(
>>
> Application Event Logs are available through the Event Viewer. They
> are not available in Documents...
>
> Danny

As above, the application log in the event viewer will not log anything
unless it has been started once. Since I couldnt start the service until
changing to run as local system did I get an app log to show up.

Now I have one and now it's running fine.

Except, even though the user /.named is there, this will not work at all.

Also, the system.log and activity.log are reading and writing fine now.

I also updated the entry for the direcory path so it would pick up the
files in a better / proper manner.

Thanks again Danny.