Do I really need an MX record? (for e-mail to work)

Cormack, Ken Ken.Cormack at roadway.com
Thu Dec 22 14:03:55 UTC 2005

> I doubt having SPF records will work unless you specify an MX

:::snip:::

> Where ##.##.##.1 and 2 are the IP addresses to your mail servers.
>
> but then again, there you have MX values back again.

The presence, or absence of MX records have nothing to do with SPF records.

Whie it is true that SPF allows you to say "v=spf1 mx" (which means "any
host that is an MX host for my domain, is authorized to send mail outbound
on my behalf")... It is also possible to specify "v=spf1 a:myhost1" or
"v=spf1 ip4:##.###.##.1" as you mentioned.  Both of these alternatives
require no reliance upon MX records.