Changing the glue record at the root servers?

Jeff Reasoner jeff.reasoner at mail.hccanet.org
Thu Dec 22 16:26:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 20:38, Me wrote:
> I changed the subnet and IP address of one of my domain's authoritative name
> servers three days ago in preparation for an ISP change yet the root servers
> are still showing the old IP address.
>
> I have control of both the old subnet and the new one, so I simply have a
> firewall NAT rule so both the old and new IP addresses will respond to
> queries until the root servers get updated.
>
> I checked the domain registrar (Network Solutions) and there are no IP
> addresses entered there, or at least that I could find.

I believe the only way for you to get your domain delegation changed is
through your registrar, NetSol. We changed our IP addrs last summer, and
as a result our name server addresses also changed. Once I got in touch
with our registrar, the change took less that 24 hours.

Don't forget about delegation of the in-addr.arpa zones as well. If you
can get your subnet delegated that is. Otherwise, you will need to get
your new ISP to change the PTRs for your new host addresses.