Do I really need an MX record? (for e-mail to work)

lamerfreak laaaaameeeeerfreak at namor.ca
Thu Dec 22 03:33:36 UTC 2005

>I'm not sure what you mean, but let's see.
>
>If my domain is "somedomain.org", then naturally if someone out there
>went to their browser and entered "www.somedomain.org" then yes, that
>is working in my case, and it also works if someone enters
>"somedomain.org" into their address bar.
>
>PS:  Um - I don't think there's any relationship between your MX record
>(or if you even have an MX record) and how people experience your web
>site.

I think your case is the exception, rather than the rule.  Most
locations would have a mail host on a different address/provider even,
than their website.

>> Suddenly now, you need you're A record to point to the web host,
>> instead of your mail server...
>
>In our case, our organization is "hidden" behind a single, static, IP
>address.  Our DSL modem (speed stream 6300) is performing
>port-forwarding of port-25 and port-80 traffic to fixed IP's on our
>local network.

Off-topic - have a few 6300s here, found it locked up, I think after
too many errors on the line, far too often for me.  Has it been stable
enough for you, or do you know what your provider's back-end equipment
(DSLAM) type is?