Do I really need an MX record? (for e-mail to work)

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Thu Dec 22 20:53:22 UTC 2005

sm5w2 at hotmail.com wrote:
> Daniel Ström wrote:
>

>>All i ever hear is excuses (we have to run this ourself) but in 99%
>>that is absolutely not defendable from a  economical or practical
>>standpoint.
>

> You make absolutely no sense, especially since I have described our
> situation.
>
> We have been operating our own mail server since 1998.  It is an
> NT4-server running post.office (made by defunct software.com).  It is
> the single most reliable, most trouble-free, least resource-intensive
> piece of business infrastructure we have.  Only our 12 year old HP
> laser Jet printer comes close.  If I want to add, delete, modifiy user
> accounts, I can do it in seconds.  If I want to add/remove any domains,
> user-names, IP addresses from it's blocking list, I can do it in
> seconds.  If I want to give users the ability to send/receive from
> outside the local network, I can do it in seconds.  If I want to set up
> 100 separate e-mail addresses, I can do it in seconds (well, ok, maybe
> minutes).  If I want to add 100 aliases to a single address, I can do
> it.
>
> If I want to go 1, 2, 3, 6 months without even turning on the screen of
> the server, I can (and have) do that too.
>
> After all that, why would I want to throw this away and have someone
> else host our e-mail?  Why would I want to pay for that, when what I
> have is already paid for?
>
> (and PS:  We have a copy of NAV corporate edition running on the
> server, and it intercept's 99% of viral attachments sitting in the
> spool folders so end-users never get them)
>

>>If you dont have the resources let someone else do it that has them
>>and focus on your core buisness.
>

> How did my questions about MX records turn into me not having enough
> resources to run our own mail server?  Please explain.
>

>>In this case judging by the setup (cable modem on a single IP) i
>>would seriously doubt that running it in-house is  a wise decision.
>

> Read what I said above.  Maybe some of you (or just Daniel Ström)
> wrestle with difficult SMTP software that breaks on you on a daily
> basis, or have an organization with more than 25 employees.  Maybe
> that's what colors your impression of the difficulty in running your
> own SMTP server.   That's not my experience.  I can't believe how easy
> it was to pull our server out of our old location (ISDN, 64 dedicated
> IP net-block) and get it back on-line through a single-IP ADSL
> connection.

I can confirm this.

Running my own mail server (Exim 4.0 on linux 2.2) is a lot easier than
guessing through the different web interfaces of both GMX.de and
wannado.fr or even google and it works automatically without anybody
pushing the mouse :)

Most import my mail does arrive and I do get my mail.

Regards
Peter and Karin Dambier

--
Peter and Karin Dambier