Does BIND9 support broadcast/multicast query?

Hideshi Enokihara Hideshi.Enokihara at jp.yokogawa.com
Tue Dec 27 05:30:32 UTC 2005

Thank you for your reply.

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 09:58:54 -0800 (PST)
Gregory Hicks <ghicks at cadence.com> wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 19:30:23 +0900
> > From: Hideshi Enokihara <Hideshi.Enokihara at jp.yokogawa.com>
> > To: bind-users at isc.org
> > Subject: Does BIND9  support broadcast/multicast query?
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a simple question for BIND9.
> >
> > Does BIND9 support a UDP query that is delivered using an IP
> > broadcast or multicast address?
>
> broadcast/multicast is handled by the router long before the request
> ever reaches the server.  As far as the SERVER is concerned, it just
> sees a request and processes normally.

I see.
But RFC1123 says,

            A server MAY support a UDP query that is delivered using an
            IP broadcast or multicast address.  However, the Recursion
            Desired bit MUST NOT be set in a query that is multicast,
            and MUST be ignored by name servers receiving queries via a
            broadcast or multicast address.

So, I think that sarver may support a broadcast or multicast query, Not router.
How do you think?

Best Regards,