What am I missing here?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Sat Jul 2 15:13:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:55:36PM -0700, czimmer at wczimmerman.dyndns.org wrote:
> The setup:
>
> Domain: domain.com
> Sub domain: test.domain.com
> Master server for domain.com, with a slave for redundancy.
> 2 more slaves for the test.domain.com
> Bind version: 9.2.2 on master, 9.3.1 on sub domain slaves
>
> Master server: ns1.domain.com
> Slave: ns2.mclaneco.com
> Slave: dns1.test.mclaneco.com
> Slave: dns2.test.mclaneco.com
> Example machine: machine1.test.domain.com
>
> I wanted to have a central place where all DNS entries could be
> maintained, so I did not delegate the test.domain.com domain to the
> dns1 and dns2 servers and make ns1 a slave to them.  Instead I added a
> $ORIGIN test.domain.com and A records to the domain.com zone file and
> setup the appropriate entries in the named.conf file. Name resolution
> using the FQDN works great.  It's when I use only the hostname, relying
> on the resolv.conf to add the test.domain.com from the search parameter
> that I experience a 10 second delay before the resolution is complete.
> The FQDN resolution is instant.  This only happens when my machines are
> pointed to the 2 dns1 and 2 slave servers for hostname resolution.  If
> I point them directly to the master server, everything works fine.
>

> What am I missing?  I'm sure I've just got something setup incorrectly.

To start off, you are missing that the mailing list and the newsgroup
are cross-posted to each other, so you should not have double-posted
this.  ;-)

Aside from that, you say that you have set up two name servers that
slave their copies of test.domain.com.  I am curious how you have set
up these servers to slave a copy of that domain, when there is no zone
that contains only a master copy of test.domain.com!  There is only the
zone that contains domain.com and test.domain.com as well.  Perhaps the
"slave" servers are (fruitlessly) looking for some test.domain.com zone,
and failing that, are going back to query the domain.com zone, and only
then getting their answer.

--
Joe Yao