cTLD and DNS upgrade

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Jul 4 08:44:28 UTC 2005

At 9:49 AM +0800 2005-07-04, Joe Shen wrote:

>>=20
>>  http://xn--8pru44h.xn--55qx5d/
>>=20
>
>  How could we enable resolving such domain names while keeping use of
>  legacy root-server?

	It all depends on who you trust.  Do you trust the PUBLIC-ROOT
people to properly administer their servers, and to have a
sufficiently geographically distributed group of servers, or do you
trust the ICANN-blessed servers?

	I don't know all of the operators of the ICANN-blessed servers,
but I know enough of them that I know I trust them to do their job
today, in much the same way they did their job years ago when Jon
Postel was at the helm, and as they have done pretty much since the
DNS was invented.  I know that ISC alone has something like fifty
clones of f.root-servers.net spread around the world, and RIPE has
worked to do something similar.

>  If china establish their own root servers for chineses domain name,
>  should we add those root-server  list into hint file?

	How many different sets of root nameservers do you think you
could make use of?  Do you not get the concepts RFC 2826?  Try taking
a look at <http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2826.txt>.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755