Weird Problem on CentOS3.4

Clute, Darrel drclute at computervisions.net
Tue Jul 5 10:31:18 UTC 2005

We've run into a weird problem on one of our customers servers today.
The server is CentOS3.4 with cPanel and has 4 assigned IP addresses.
The server was working as would be expected until this morning.
The problem is that when you attempt to query any of the IPs other
than the primary, i.e. dig @IP2 domain, you receive a SERVFAIL
whereas if you query the main IP such as dig @IP1 domain you receive
a correct response.  This behavior only occurs when queried remotely
as the server responds as expected on all IPs from the server.  We
have tried several things, which I have detailed below, but to no
avail.

First we checked to make sure that the RPMs hadn't been updated and
they had not been.  Second we checked IPTables and there wasn't
anything there that would be causing the results we were receiving.
We checked the configuration and no changes from the standards had
been made. We then tried specifying a single IP that was not working
as the listen on and that still did not work.  We uninstalled and
reinstalled the RPMs which did not work.  We uninstalled and
installed both 9.2.5 and 9.3.1, at separate times, from source which
resulted in the same problem still occurring.

At this point we have tried everything we can think of other then
reinstall the server.  Is there anything that we are missing that may
be related to this problem?  Our searches of this mailing list Google
and several other specialty forums has produced nothing on this
particular particular problem.  Any assistance that you all could
provide would be greatly appreciated.