Help, BIND9 initialization error on Windows 2000!

Shi Jingnian shijn at tjpc.org
Thu Jul 7 02:48:59 UTC 2005

Danny Mayer wrote:
>It's possible you have mismatched DLL's. Try copying
>all the .exe and .dll files to the same install
>directory and then start the service

i re-unzipped BIND9.3.1.zip and overwrote all exe/dll
files in the directory but no use as it was. in fact,
i examined the bin dir after each uninstallation and
found the files there were already cleared out except
BINDinstall.exe. Also i found BIND only uses libeay32
in named\bin and bindevt.dll in system directory. i
also examined registry files of both computers and
found no differences on BIND-related items. i guess
something's wrong with my system, for named.exe got
no chance to give its own error messages. Following
are all messages when starting BIND service:
--------- Popup 1:
 Caption: named.exe - Application error
 Message: The application failed to initialize
  properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to
  terminate the application.
--------- Popup 2:
 Caption: Microsoft Management Console
 Message: Error 1053:The service did not respond to
  the start or control request in a timely fashion.
--------- System event 1:
 Event Source: Application Popup
 Event ID:     26
   Application error: The application failed to
   initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on
   OK to terminate the application.
--------- System Event 2:
 Event Source: Service Control
 Event ID:     7009
   waiting for the ISC BIND service to connect.
--------- System Event 3:
 Event Source: Service Control
 Event ID:     7000
  due to the following error:
  The service did not respond to the start or control
  request in a timely fashion.

Mine is a Windows 2000 server SP4 (Simplified Chinese)
with patches up to May 2005 (MS05-027). The above
messages are the English equivalents, i believe. as
said last time, i'd give up for i have already got
BIND 9 running on another machine instead. but i'd
be glad to try any suggestions. Thank you.

Shi.