Host Header Site

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Thu Jul 7 06:24:31 UTC 2005

Agreed with Jim.

It doesn't matter how you setup the record pointing to the web
server. The problem is the web server has to be aware of the site
name being sent by the end user's browser so it can return the
correct site to that browser. It's part of an HTTP 1.1 request:

A web browser requesting http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TheProject.html

would send the following to the web server:

GET /pub/WWW/TheProject.html HTTP/1.1
Host: www.w3.org

Would tell the web server to return www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TheProject.html

As long as DNS gets the browser to connect to the web server then the
rest is up to the browser's request and the web server's configuration.

At 09:39 PM 7/6/2005, Jim McAtee wrote:
>If the web server hasn't been configured to associate the host names
>"domain2.com" and "www.domain2.com" with that particular web site, then
>you can't do it.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain