ns1 & ns2 load balancing

Jim jim at compton.net
Thu Jul 7 18:39:43 UTC 2005

Hey folks,
This covers a bit of DNS theory...

I've read that a secondary name server will load balance with its master -
but I've never heard an explanation of how. Yes, the secondary is there for
a backup should the primary fail, but what does the secondary name server do
other than accept zone transfers from its master and where does this load
balancing happen?
I've read that a client/server will run through its /etc/resolve.conf file,
find the first nameserver entry (most likely the primary of the network) and
only after a timeout will it request an answer from another nameserver
entry. Just as in Windows, nslookup always defaults to querying the primary
name server for requests. So when does the secondary get used? Or does it
lay dormant until the primary goes down?

Any help would be appreciated :)