Help, BIND9 initialization error on Windows 2000!

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Fri Jul 8 02:33:31 UTC 2005

> Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:25:59 +0800
> From: Shi Jingnian <shijn at tjpc.org>
> To: Danny Mayer <mayer at gis.net>
> Cc: bind-users at isc.org
> Subject: Re: Re: Help, BIND9 initialization error on Windows 2000!
>

> joe wrote:
> >Can you post your options settings from the named.conf. When
> >have installed BIND 9 in the past on either win2k or win2k03
> >servers it was the path in the named.conf that was messing
> >up the star up for named.
> >Also post here what you get when you run named -g...
>
> i don't think the settings of named.conf is a problem, becuase
> named.exe had no chance to read named.conf before failed in my
> case. in fact i made a test moving named.conf away on my running
> machine, starting BIND would led to "named.conf not found" and
> path of the options in named.conf is a problem, i posted the

Then, if you DO NOT have these "not found" events, one of two things is
happening:

1.  The named.conf you think is in the right place is not the one that
BIND is actually reading
or
2.  The log file you are looking at is not the one to which BIND is
logging.

Personally, I'd suspect that BIND is reading another named.conf before
finding fault with the system logging.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks
> results of "named -g" the other day, no problem found, running
> OK, which proved no errors in my named.conf. And again, i have
> another machine running BIND 9, the options and zones settings
> are all the same in named.conf.
>
> -----------------
> Danny Mayer wrote:
> >The installer appears to be installing DLL's in system32.
> >It really should install it in named\bin (in your case).
> >Try copying the lib*.dll files into that directory and restart.
>
> Sorry i missed to say most DLLs are in system32. i just tested
> copying all DLLs into both c:\named\bin and c:\winnt\system32
> (some overwritten), still no use. Also i examined my running
> machine, only libeay32.dll in c:\named\bin, others in system32,
> but it runs all right. i guess the interface of named.exe and
> my system (service manager) has something wrong before calling
> DLL files.
>
> Shi.

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin