cTLD and DNS upgrade

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Jul 8 07:25:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:45:28PM -0400,
 Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote
 a message of 53 lines which said:

> You say you want the ability to compile BIND with some sort of
> "authoritative-only" flag.

Since I will not do the coding myself, let's say that I "suggest", not
that I "want" :-)

> Fine. But you're still going to want something to resolve Internet
> DNS names right?

No. Machines like ns3.nic.fr or ns2.nic.fr are
authoritative-only. They rely on an external caching name server (in
the same rack) for the very few name resolutions they have to perform.

> Now you have two rounds of patching to do instead of just one,

I do not get it. If there is one source, I'll have only one patch to
apply. The compilation time does not count, it is machine time (which
is cheap).

> I agree, if you *only* serve authoritative zones, or if that's your
> primary line of business,

Correct.

> But for most of us, BIND is a general-purpose tool,

Correct again but this is precisely the problem: BIND does too many
things. (Part of it comes from the fact that the DNS mixes serving and
resolving.)