Logging while chrooted.

Brian Johnson bjohnson at drtel.com
Wed Jul 13 16:34:28 UTC 2005

I am having a few issues attempting to log to a file while chrooted. My
understanding is that when chrooted, the named system only sees items in the
jail. When I set a logging directive and send things to a file. I am getting
the following errors.

Jul 13 10:46:18 isp01 named[29712]: isc_log_open '/var/log/named.log'
failed: permission denied

This folder exists within the jail and is owned by the user named runs as.

Here is my named.conf logging directive:

logging {
      channel "default_syslog" {
            // Send most of the named messages to syslog.
            syslog local2;
      severity debug;
      };
      channel audit_log {
            // Send the security related messages to a separate file.
            file "/var/log/named.log";
            severity debug;
      print-time yes;
      };
      category default { default_syslog; };
      category general { default_syslog; };
      category security { audit_log; default_syslog; };
      category config { default_syslog; };
      category resolver { audit_log; };
      category xfer-in { audit_log; };
      category xfer-out { audit_log; };