Urgent problem - BIND 9.2.x on Solaris 8 going "brain-dead"

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Wed Jul 13 05:30:05 UTC 2005

> trussing the named process when it's in this "brain-dead" state shows it
> making repeated calls to brk() that are all failing with an ENOMEM.  A pmap
> shows that the heap size is approximately 20 Megs in size.
>
> I'd really like to get this solved as soon as possible.  I'll basically get
> no more than about an hour of sleep until it's solved, or the problem goes
> away on its own.  I'm willing to listen to any reasonable suggestions for
> steps to take.

Move to 9.3.1?

Compile using the internal malloc() compile option?

Limit the cache size?

Set up a Linux (or BSD or whatever, just not Solaris8) box as a temporary solution. You can use all the same config and zone files, you can use any old PC you have lying around, install and setup should take less than an hour. If nothing else it buys you time. The chances that the same thing happens on a different OS would seem to be minimal unless it is a BIND bug.

Good luck, K.