Zonefile Naming Conventions

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 21:42:09 UTC 2005

Jeff Hardy wrote:
> I have worked with a number of different Bind configs, and wondered what
> filenaming conventions people have come up with for zone files, or if
> there is any kind of standard.  I have never quite settled on one.  I

My preference is the zone name for forward zones and the IP range for
reverse:

zone "zonename.tld"
{
     file "zonename.tld";
}

zone "42.168.192.in-addr.arpa"
{
     file "192.168.42";
}

On mixed master/slave installs I'm using master and slave
subdirectories. Sometimes I use subdirectories for other purposes,
perhaps for different domain owners using the sane server.
     or "not-spam" is in Subject: header