bind, Microsoft Active Directory, Exchange and Magic Pixie Dust

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Jul 18 14:13:20 UTC 2005

Martin McCormick <martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu> wrote, in part:

>	One difference between our setup, a very similar setup at
>another university, and the one Barry Finkel describes at ANL is that
>we actually delegated the AD zone with glue records rather than slave
>it which I originally thought would be a better idea.

I am not sure what is meant here.  In my DNS setup, at the end of the
zone for msd.anl.gov I have these lines:

     _msdcs          IN      NS      rhino221.anl.gov.
     _sites          IN      NS      rhino221.anl.gov.
     _tcp            IN      NS      rhino221.anl.gov.
     _udp            IN      NS      rhino221.anl.gov.

Those lines are the glue records that officially delegate the four "_"
zones to my one MS W2k+3 DNS Server.  But I also slave these four zones
on my BIND servers, the ones that all of the clients here have in their
DNS search configuration.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov