bind problems after WAN interuption

David Boyer nospam at nospan.net
Mon Jul 18 13:05:23 UTC 2005

Our router has been a little flakey lately. It encounters some type of error
and reboots once or twice a day.

Once this happens, BIND seems unable to do anything that requires going
beyond the router, even after the router is up and running again. We have to
restart BIND to resolve this.

When our router crashes and restarts, DNS resolution only works in zones for
which our DNS server is authoritative. All others (e.g. ones that will
require querying another DNS server outside the router) fail. Additionally,
DNS queries from beyond the router against our authoritative zones also
fail.

We're running BIND 9.3.1 on SUSE Pro 9.3, x86. Let me know if you need any
other details.

Any suggesionts?