using 'libbind' in my C application

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 07:20:54 UTC 2005

Well, first of all BIND 8.2.3 is really, really old and has known
vulnerabilities, you might consider upgrading. I think the standard
recommendation is to run either the latest 9.2.x (9.2.5) or 9.3.x
(9.3.1) series.

I was using libbind for DDNS updates where I worked before, and it has
its advantages and drawbacks. The main advantage is the simple API. If
you look in the code for BIND 8's nsupdate you'll see what I'm talking
about, especially compared to the way the same thing is achieved in
BIND 9 - nsupdate code in BIND 9 is a few times larger. It also
supports lots of stuff - we were sending TSIG-signed DDNS updates with
it, and it worked.

Drawbacks also depend on the OS on which you plan to run. If you check
the list archives, you'll see that libbind on Windows has some
problems that are beyond repair. libbind and BIND 8 are dead code now,
don't expect new features or any rewrites.

If you don't need anything fancy, maybe you should stay with
scripting, or research the capabilities of perl's Net::DNS (which I've
never used, so I don't know whether it supports DDNS).