FW: Periodic lookup failures

Tony Davis Tony.Davis at voca.com
Thu Jul 21 14:36:36 UTC 2005

Dear List,

I sent the attached email last week. Jim and Mark kindly replied
suggesting that the problem was most likely related to firewall and/or
NAT issues. I have therefore been concentrating on these areas. When we
have the problem I have been snooping the outgoing network interface and
we have run sniffers both sides of the firewall. Although we have made
some progress we still haven't cracked the issue. We seem to be seeing
three issues:

1. Some replies appear to be blocked by the firewall
2. Some replies appear to be blocked or incorrectly redirected by the
Content Sensitive Switch
3. We seem to be doing unnecessary lookups to the root servers

Strangely, all the blocked and missing replies seem to be ones that were
made to the root servers.

Regarding the unnecessary root server lookups, maybe someone can explain
the following mystery to me.

The set up we have is two nameservers in the same DMZ, a master and
slave. External addresses are resolved by querying out via the internet.

Today we had our intermittent problem. I selected some obscure URLs to
lookup that wouldn't be cached. On one server I did the lookup for a
.com URL. h.gtld-servers.net server immediately responded back with the
authoritative name servers for the domain and  additional records
conatining the IP addresses of the nameservers. Our DNS server appears
to ignore the IP addresses supplied and goes straight to the root
servers querying the addresses of the authoritative nameservers. No
reply is recieved by our server (although a reply is received from the
internet) from any of the root servers it queries so the lookup fails.

On our slave DNS server I do the same thing. Again h.gtld-servers.net
responds with the authoritative nameservers along with their addresses.
This time the DNS server goes straight to the authoritative nameserver
using the IP addresses supplied and the URL is resolved.

My question is why is one of the nameservers apparently ignoring the IP
addresses supplied and going straight to the root servers to resolve
them?

Also, if any one has any theories as to why the root servers may be
blocked (and this isn't consistent, some are blocked, others aren't),
they would be welcome. Just to clarify, both servers are using the same
CSS and firewall.

Thanks

Tony