Bind doesn't respond to XP nslookup?

aklist_bind at enigmedia.com aklist_bind at enigmedia.com
Thu Jul 21 16:13:28 UTC 2005

Hi All:

Sort of newbie question here...

I have BIND 9.3.0 running on FreeBSD 5.3, with two views, a "local" one for
my 192.168.0.x subnet and the other for everyone else.

My "local" view has "recusion yes;", and it only has the root hints, reverse
zones for 192.168.1/24 and 127/8, and my local zone file for my domain.

Using a WinXP sp2 box on my local subnet, if I try to nslookup I get "DNS
request timed out.", even though it's correctly resolving the IP of the NS.

However if I use SamSpade to perform a dig using the FreeBSD box as NS, I
get normal responses from the NS.

Any ideas?