Partial zone authority

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jul 21 23:12:25 UTC 2005

In article <dbolmh$2uc4$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "greg.chavez at gmail.com" <greg.chavez at gmail.com> wrote:

> We have just opened up a private T1 line to a sister organization with
> a different domain, lemon.gov.  I have been asked to set up a copy of
> their domain on our internal name servers to resolve one A record -
> cas.lemon.gov - to an IP which will be accessed over the T1.  Never
> mind why, they just want it done.  The Internet name servers for
> lemon.gov do not serve this record - it is entirely internal.  So I
> have been asked to either replicate the lemon.gov domain internally ,
> pretend to be authoritative for it, and add the A record for "cas"; or
> find a way to serve a record for "cas" and forward all other queries to
> the Internet.
>
> It seems to be that the latter is not possible.  You can't be partially
> authoritative, can you?

You can be authoritative for the cas.lemon.gov domain.

zone "cas.lemon.gov" {
  type master;
};

This has no effect on the rest of the lemon.gov domain, which will be
resolved normally.  This is no different from the fact that you can be
authoritative for banana.gov without affecting the rest of the gov
domain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA