TTL not decreasing on slave servers

Auer, Karl James karl.auer at id.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 22 10:55:24 UTC 2005

> Still, the main problem is that if I change some values on=20
> the master's zones (and increase the serial, so that SOA is different)

> zones are not updated on the slaves until I issue a "rndc stop/start"
on=20
> the slave. A "rndc reload" won't do the job.
> Why?

If the slaves are showing the correct, new serial number, then the zone
has been transferred, and all the changes you made to the zone should be
reflected in data from the slave.

If the serial number is different, then your slaves are not getting the
updated zones, and (obviously) your other changes will not be reflected
either.

So: Are you, or are you not, seeing the same serial number on the slaves
as on the masters? After reloadingthe masters, but not the slaves, that
is.

If you ARE seeing the same serial numbers on masters and slaves, then
please provide a specific example of unexpected behaviour, with actual
names and zones and serial numbers.

If you are NOT seeing the same serial numbers on masters and slaves, but
zone transfers after a restart work, it could be that your slaves aren't
official secondaries (are not mentioned in the zones as nameservers) so
are not getting notified of changes. You can fix this with also-notify
if the slaves should not appear in the zones as nameservers.

Do you have any log entries indicating that zones are being transferred
successfully (sorry, I think you might have said this, I can't
remember).

Regards, K.

--=20