Site Failover

Gregory W Zill gregory at r3g.net
Fri Jul 22 03:21:29 UTC 2005

Kevin Darcy wrote:
> Greg Zill wrote:
>

>>I am just putting pencil to paper for the first time on planning a
>>remote failover site for our co-lo production facility. As I just took
>>over authoritative DNS and setup of a master and slave, I am wondering
>>what would be the preferred configuration for another site with
>>equivalent services to tide us over in the case of tornado or
>>significant natural or unnatural disaster.
>>
> I'm not sure why you say "manually", though: you can automate the
> slave-to-temporary-master switchover as much as you wish and your
> scripting/programming skills allow.

I am sure the total timeouts will depend on how far away (miles) the
failover site is located. In the Midwest, we have choices like Des
Moines (2.5 hr) Kansas City (2 hr) and so on. So once the failure is
declared, some time has gone by, and even more time for the actual trip
and some more time for switching everything (webservers, sql, images) at
the remote site up. In the meantime I have remoted in and setup the new
DNS. The zones are mostly up to date because they have been slaving the
whole time. It is at this point why I posed my original question.

--
"Never have so many understood so little about so much."
                              -- James Burke