TTL not decreasing on slave servers

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jul 23 00:00:54 UTC 2005

In article <dbqdj0$2bkh$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Mariano Cunietti <mcunietti at enter.it> wrote:

> Still, the main problem is that if I change some values on the master's
> zones (and increase the serial, so that SOA is different) zones are not
> updated on the slaves until I issue a "rndc stop/start" on the slave. A
> "rndc reload" won't do the job.
> Why?

Are there any log messages on the slave servers when you reload the
master?  The master should log that it's sending NOTIFY, and the slaves
should load that they've received the NOTIFY.

You should probably lower the SOA Refresh time on the zone to an hour.
That way, if there's a problem with the NOTIFY, the slaves will
automatically refresh every hour anyway.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA