Expanding 32 and 64 blocks to class C

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jul 23 00:46:22 UTC 2005

In article <dbs0e6$1tvd$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Gregory W Zill <gregory at r3g.net> wrote:

> I have the upcoming task of moving off of our couple smal ip blocks to a
> full Class-C. I use webmin to administer my 2 BIND 9 servers. I think
> one of the first steps is to lower TTL to like 900. However I see two
> TTL entries in each zone. Which one?

What two TTL entries are you talking about?  $TTL directives apply to
all the records that follow them, until a new $TTL directive.  So if you
have something like:

$TTL 900
www IN A 1.2.3.4
mail IN A 1.2.3.5
$TTL 1800
host1 IN A 1.2.3.6
host2 IN A 1.2.3.7

the TTLs of www and mail will be 900, the TTLs of host1 and host2 will
be 1800.

You can also have explicit TTLs on individual entries, e.g.

www 3600 IN A 1.2.3.4

The $TTL value is used as a default for records that don't have explicit
TTLs like this.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA