Bind doesn't respond to XP nslookup?

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Sat Jul 23 05:20:02 UTC 2005

At 12:33 PM 7/21/2005, Danny Mayer wrote:
>aklist_bind at enigmedia.com wrote:
> > Hi All:
> >
> > Sort of newbie question here...
> >
> > I have BIND 9.3.0 running on FreeBSD 5.3, with two views, a
> "local" one for
> > my 192.168.0.x subnet and the other for everyone else.
> >
> > My "local" view has "recusion yes;", and it only has the root
> hints, reverse
> > zones for 192.168.1/24 and 127/8, and my local zone file for my domain.
> >
> > Using a WinXP sp2 box on my local subnet, if I try to nslookup I get "DNS
> > request timed out.", even though it's correctly resolving the IP of the NS.
> >
> > However if I use SamSpade to perform a dig using the FreeBSD box as NS, I
> > get normal responses from the NS.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

>It works for me, though I use dig and not nslookup which is a really
>badly behaved tool.

nslookup in Windows likes to add on the default domain name to every
query. If it fails, it will retry again without it. To circumvent
this, try adding a period at the end of the record you're looking up.
It may prevent the timeout issues you are seeing if that's what is causing it.

And yes, also try dig instead. :)

>Try stopping the DNS Client Service. It not useful anyway.

It's useful to the MS DNS servers and WAN links in a large
geographically distributed AD environment for caching purposes. If
you don't care that Windows will keep sending queries for AD related
information all the time, disable it. Otherwise, it cuts down on DNS
chatter in AD environments. It shouldn't affect a tool like nslookup
or dig which query the name server directly. I've never seen it
prevent a DNS lookup from working with a tool that doesn't use the OS
level DNS calls in Windows.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain