Authoritative Nameserver stops resolving its own queries

mworden at substantis.com mworden at substantis.com
Tue Jul 19 09:03:10 UTC 2005

I would appreciate anyone's help in troubleshooting my problem.  I have an
authoritative nameserver (testy.substantis.com) running bind 9.3.0 on
Fedora Core 2.  The bind install was from sources and performed according
to the Trinity OS instructions where a chrooted version runs for both
external and internal clients.  It works perfectly to both internal
network clients and external clients but has suddenly stopped resolving
its own queries including querries for which it is authoritative.  There
have been no configuration changes and no other changes except a

For example, dig from a client like:
dig dumb.com @testy.substantis.com
returns status: NOERROR

BUT
dig yahoo.com on a terminal on the bind server returns
"connection timed out;  no servers could be reached."

There are no unusual errors in /var/log/messages (i.e. ignoring
"out-of-zone data")