'nsupdate' to delete non-existent hostname

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 27 05:45:11 UTC 2005

Yes, it's normal behavior. Deleting something that does not exist is
not, in and of itself, considered a fault or error. Oftentimes a Dynamic
Update client doesn't care whether the name/RRset/record existed
*before* the Dynamic Update, only that it no longer exists *after* the
Dynamic Update.

If you really *must* detect that the name, RRset or a specific record
exists just prior to the deletion attempt, then set the appropriate
prereq in the update and you'll get an NXDOMAIN or an NXRRSET response
code if the name or RRset previously existed. See RFC 2136 and/or the
nsupdate man page for more details.

                                    - Kevin