notify timed out/exceeded

Gamer philip.arns at gad.de
Thu Jul 28 12:01:07 UTC 2005

Dear list,
im still evaluating the performance of multiple slaves with a Master
Nameserver (zone transfers, notifies etc.). In order to simulate
traffic with many slaves, I assigned ~10 virtual ip addresses to a
single interface. With "listen on {..}" and "transfer source {..}" I
attached the named processes to the virtual interfaces. Now I get tons
of :

Jul 28 13:17:16.414 notify: debug 1: zone test40/IN: notify to
10.65.95.236#5353 failed: timed out
Jul 28 13:17:16.414 notify: debug 1: zone hugo40/IN: notify to
10.65.95.251#53: retries exceeded

messages in my log files...

The Master sent the notifies properly (log+tcpdump); the
slave(s)received the notifies (tcpdump) but there is no log entry!
I`m quite sure the packages don`t get lost in the network.
Any idea about that? Is it bind (9.3.1) or maybe the virtual
interfaces?
Thanks in advance!