windows 2003 DDNS

rubbersoul rodney.galley at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 14:41:34 UTC 2005

I have an AD with 2 sites. I'm using Dynamic DNS and seem to be having
the strangest problem. We have internal and external DNS
servers.....when our users are within our network we want all there
queries to resolve to the internal DNS servers.....so here goes...in
our first site...will call it SiteA I can do a ping mail.acme.com and
sometimes it'll resolve to the internal IP of that box (192.168.1.1)
which is great! However, sometimnes it try's to resolve to the external
IP of that box (66.200.x.x). When it does this I can't recieve
mail....so what I usually have to do to resolve it is a
ipconfig/flushdns and an ipconfig/registerdns....then it works and a
ping resolves back to the internal address (192.168.1.1).....However,
and this is were it get's even more weird....our other site (which has
it's own DNS server...and exact copy of SiteA's DNS server) dosen't
work at all....It always try's to resolve to the external IP of the
box...no matter what I do.

I've tried flushing the DNS on the client machine and re-registering
it. I've tried clearing the cache of the DNS server....I've brought the
DNS service down and up, checked to ensure that all the hostA records
and MX records are in the right place....they are (there exact copies
of SiteA's config)

This is very strange and I can't seem to figure it out.....I should let
you know that if I add the FQDN of our network to thos address it
always works. Anotherwords...ping mail.acme.com.mycompany.local

If I remove the forwarders (which forward unknown traffic to our
extrenal DNS servers) everythig works fine....mail.acme.com will
resolve to the internal address....but at that point we can't resolve
say www.ggole.com because our DNS has no one to forward that unknown
traffic to......HELP!