Partial domain nameserver and forwarder, [was Special-case resolution]

Jeff Hardy hardyjm at potsdam.edu
Fri Jul 29 12:40:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 13:25 -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> Jeff Hardy wrote:
> > Phrased differently: is it possible to set up two nameservers, each
> > knowing only part of a domain, in such a way that nameserver1 would know
> > that anything it cannot resolve should be referred to nameserver2.  And
> > vice-versa I suppose.  I do not mean by delegation to a subdomain, but
> > two authoritative nameservers for example.com, each with half the
> > records.
>
> This is much like what I was on about recently:
> Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:36:56 -0500
> From: /dev/rob0 <rob0 at gmx.co.uk>
> To: bind-users at isc.org
> Subject: views and zone overlap
>
> My situation is that I want to have example.net as a dynamic DHCP zone
> here at home, and yet still be able to resolve the example.net records
> I'm serving to the world.
>
> Being a dynamic zone, the $INCLUDE idea only works once. Changes in the
> world view of example.net would have to be manually entered in the home
> view of example.net. That's what I want to avoid, although admittedly
> it's not a big problem, because the world view won't change often.
>
> Seems like it should be possible, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I wanted to do the EXACT same thing when I set up a DDNS/DHCP zone.  I
ended up delegating a subdomain and did all the DHCP/DDNS there.  ACLs
keep that zone from getting out to the Internet, and the parent domain
is still visible to the world.

My current question is in the same vein, but a different situation.
Further research, and a gentleman from the list pointing me back to RFC
1034, has indicated that this is not possible.  The only way to get
close to it (I think) is the way I had tried in my original post.
Creative use of views and include statements.

Thanks all.

--
Jeff Hardy
Systems Analyst