dynamic update transfers to slave servers

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 20:39:27 UTC 2005

On Monday 13 June 2005 15:02, Trey Nolen wrote:
> I am working on implementing a new dynamic DNS service for our
> company. This is not tied into DHCP, but rather a service like no-ip,
> mydns, changeip, etc.   My dynamic updates work fine on the server,
> but are not getting passwed to our slave servers in a timely manner.
> I have looked through the archives and have seen a lot of these
> issues, but nothing seems to fit exactly what we are doing.  Many
> people in the archives have mentioned 5 minutes as being a normal
> update time for the slaves, and that would be fine with us.  Right
> now, it takes hours.
>
> We are using Bind 8.4.6 on Debian systems. Here are the pertinent

I have a service like this on BIND 9.x. It's a subzone of my main zone,
and all slaves are listed as NS records, plus one also-notify slave
here at home.

Updates sometimes take as much as 2 seconds to get to all the slaves,
when network lag is bad.

I don't know BIND 8, but I can tell you that BIND 9 is good at this.

I would be interested to compare notes on your implementation. Mine's