problem with resolving SOME EXTERNAL domains
mayer at gis.net
Tue Jun 14 16:22:51 UTC 2005
----- Original Message Follows -----
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> enesz at bih.net.ba wrote:
> | Hi again,
> | <Ronan Flode> wrote:
> | <
> | Hmm.
> | (Question to group/list: does dig 9.3.1 rely on the configured
> resolver, | using gethostbyname or similar, to resolve the NS names to
> addresses, | ignoring any glue A in additional sections? I've seen
> something that | does)
> dig does rely on a well maintained /etc/hosts file :)
That would come as a big surprise to the BIND development team.
dig and all of the other tools don't know or care about the
/etc/hosts file and wouldn't look at it. DNS was developed
to replace /etc/hosts files.
dig only looks at the /etc/resolv.conf if it needs to find the
nameserver to use (if not defined on the command line) and only
looks at the rest of the content if requested to.
> I did have problems digging and I did see the same problems with
> check_soa program from the O'Reilly book "DNS and BIND".
> There are some programmes that can read a zone file and build an
> /etc/hosts like file for you. Please read more on one of the following
> Dont worry most of the documentation is english.
> After I had the glue records "added" to my /etc/hosts both
> dig and check_soa worked fine.
Then you have a different problem. It won't affect dig.
More information about the bind-users