problem with resolving SOME EXTERNAL domains

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Thu Jun 16 10:37:42 UTC 2005

It would if I'd specified @ns.example.com (i.e. name rather than IP) :-/

> dig +trace is meant to use the nameserver for all lookups. It just
> does iterative queries to that nameserver. dig isn't designed to
> do resolution itself. All it can do is ask for a specific piece of
> information from a specific nameserver and get an answer back. +trace
> makes it ask for each piece one after the other. But all it's doing
> is iterating.

That's fair enough; I'm only saying that having some means of doing,
and showing, the full workings might be useful.  Perhaps a separate
utility -- there may even be something out there already, eg along
the lines of the DNS traversal http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for