Changing authoritative nameserver IPs

Nod none at nospam.none
Thu Jun 23 15:26:04 UTC 2005

I'm in the process of renumbering my nameservers, and can't find a defintive
answer on an issue. I've changed, via NSI, one of my nameserver IPs. The change
has already propogated to the root nameservers, and is good. A spot-check of
random domains via the roots show the proper IP address. Both the old and new IP
address are continuing to run, to prevent any interruption of service. The DNS A
records for the nameserver have been updated to the new IP.

Querying whois for domains hosted with NSI return the proper IP address. All
seems to be well here, however, domains registered with some of the other
registrars currently are returning the old IP via whois. Querying the root
nameservers for these domain's auth ns returns the expected new IP addresses.

Is there a policy in place, essentially requiring the various registrars to
re-sync their whois data with the root nameserver data?