When will a slave get an update from Master?

blrmaani blrmaani at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 20:10:10 UTC 2005

Is there a option in slave to control the zone transfer?

Here is my understanding about the zone transfer:
1. Slave get zone transfer from master once it notices change (
increase) in the
serial number.
2. When we force master to do the zone transfer ( using dig utility ),
all slaves get
the latest zone information.
3. Whenever we update the master using nsupdate, it increases the
serial number
at master and triggers zone transfer ( i.e sends notifies to slaves and
slaves pull
the latest zone information from master(s) )

Please correct me if I am wrong.

thanks
BM