Some hints on DNS config?

Kimi Ostro kimimeister at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 14:04:17 UTC 2005

Hello list,

I have been playing around with BIND for sometime now and have a
"nice" caching/forwarder + authorative nameserver setup, hence you can
probably see my problem?

So now that I have some spare time, I want/need to spit this up to
something like:

 {Caching-Forwarder}
     \      /
 {Master}   /
   |   \  /
   | {Slave}

 {DHCP-Server}

My idea being that all the clients contact the slave for all/most of
the name resolution. One thing to mix this a little further, will be
Dynamic-DNS coming from my DHCP server which I guess should modify
certain records on the master.

I was reading http://www.isc.org/pubs/tn/isc-tn-2002-2.html and was a
little stumped on:

* "Your named.conf file should contain a hint for the root zone, a
master zone for 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA, as well as master zones for any
private..."

I don't quite get the reasoning behind this?

thanks for your time!
--
Kimi