Named stops responding after reboot?

aklist_bind at enigmedia.com aklist_bind at enigmedia.com
Wed Jun 29 22:52:07 UTC 2005

Just to follow up on my own post (wiping the egg off my glasses):

I guess I hadn't rebooted the machine EVER since it was first set up,
because right after I set it up, I must have done two things:

killed iptables
killed named and restarted it bypassing the chroot

When the machine was restarted, the default rc.d settings were as James
suspected...BIND set to run in a chroot jail. I had forgotten that I had
manually bypassed that later.

I also forgot that I had manually killed iptables (I know it's bad, but the
server's behind a firewall...I had intended to get iptables reconfigured
back when I first set up BIND but forgot!)

So, killing iptables and using /usr/sbin/named brought it back to life.

You may all flame me for being a newbie 'tard now <g>.