slave server does not reload

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue May 3 22:09:00 UTC 2005

> Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:
> >
> >        If you want to force the slave to use refresh earlier than
> >        it would normally do then use "rndc refresh" which requires
> >        a zone to be specified or the extended "rndc reload" where
> >        you specify the zone to reload.  A plain "rndc reload" does
> >        not cause the slaves to be refreshed as it would create an
> >        enmourmous traffic spike (self DoS) on large (many zones)
> >        nameservers.
>
> In fact (sigh) I made most if not all the errors you listed, some
> more thoroughly than you might guess 8-) and in different order.
>
> The lack of any error message to "rndc reload" without arguments
> on the slave was the key to my bafflement; If the slave rndc had
> replied, as most *nix programs do, with a synopsis of the required
> arguments the mistake would have been obvious.
>
> Thanks for your guidance,
>
> bob prohaska

	Well you problem is that you are thinking the server as a
	whole is a slave.  A server is a slave for a *particular*
	zone.  When you ran "rndc reload" the nameserver re-read
	named.conf,  added / removed any zones that changed in
	named.conf and reloaded the contents of and master zones
	that are not dynamic.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC