Serial number too big.

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Fri May 6 16:39:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 02:27:13PM -0700, Keith Woodworth wrote:
> Moved some servers around and running BIND 8.4.6 and I just reloaded a
> zone and get serial number too big.
>
> 19990301242
>
> is the current serial number. I dont recall the other BIND server that was
> authoritiative complaining, which is running: 8.3.4.
>
> How can I recover or fix this particular message? A google search for
> bind serial number too big is less than helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Keith

A convention which you may have been following is:

	YYYYMMDDnn
	2005050600

This is designed to nicely keep us under (2^31-1):
	2147483647
for another few years; hopefully not only my kids but any grandkids will
be out of college by then, and I'll be retired.  ;-)

For some reason, though, you've added on an extra digit.

	YYYYMMDDnn
	19990301242

Earlier versions of BIND may not have complained about this, but just
let you go on using
	(19990301242 (mod 2^32)) == 2810432058 == -1484535238.
This IS an illegal value, though ...

See the aforementioned documents on how to correct this with least
disruption via expiring zones.

--
Joe Yao