DNS newbie question

iceman80231 at yahoo.com iceman80231 at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 17:11:51 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

I have two DNS servers external to my firewall, running BIND 9.2.2.
Any hostnames that they cannot resolve are being forwarded to my ISP's
DNS servers.  My servers have zone data files and I wanted to see if
caching was enabled and, if not, to configure BIND so that it is
enabled.  After endless searching on Google, I have heard very bad
things about nscd and BIND not working well together so I want to
reconfigure BIND to continue to resolve hostnames with its own zone
data files, forward requests it cannot handle to the ISP's DNS servers,
AND cache the latter results to cut down on requests made to the ISP's
DNS servers.  Many thanks.