How to find ver in BIND 8.x for NT?

mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu May 12 03:48:09 UTC 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
> I've tried all of the usual commands to try to determine the minor
> version of BIND 8 that is running on a Windows 2000 server on our
> network.
>
> Is there any way other than querying the server to determine which
> version we're running? Unforutnately, named.exe -v does not work, nor
> does "nslookup -type=txt -class=chaos version.bind $SERVER"

If you look in the event log it will show there as the first line of
the startup.

You can also run named -g from the command line and it will also display
to the dos window.

dig version.bind txt chaos @127.0.0.1

is the other method.

I highly recommend that you upgrade to BIND 9.3.1 since there are some
architectural changes in the sockets area that fix a longstanding
problem that has not changed in BIND 8.

Danny