Notify / Transfer Delays

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu May 12 05:51:43 UTC 2005

> Random on the master or the slaves part?  And did this just change with
> 9.3.x because I dont think we've ever had this problem in the past.
> When reecords have a 30 second ttl and the zone transfer takes half
> that we get ~45 seconds until its live - not what we wanted to hear
> after the upgrade. :(

	No. It's live after 15 seconds.

> If we have the horsepower and the bandwidth can't we eliminate the
> delay completely?  The options below should allow us enough to not be
> throttled right?
>
>   max-transfer-time-in 5;
>   max-transfer-idle-in 3;
>   max-transfer-time-out 5;
>   max-transfer-idle-out 3;
>   transfers-in 100;
>   transfers-out 100;
>   transfers-per-ns 50;
>   serial-query-rate 250;
>
> Thanks again

	Bind 9 just queues a refresh query when it receives a valid
	NOTIFY.  These along with the notify messages the slave
	generates are rate limited by serial-query-rate.  BIND 9.3
	has been known to perform multiple transfers of the same
	zone in a single second.  BIND 9.4 has code to put a minimum
	gap between notify messages for a zone.

		notify-delay <seconds>;

	If you are not transfering from the slave zones have you
	set "notify no;" on them?

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC