Complex DNS Resolver Question

Nathan Benson tuxtattoo at gmail.com
Mon May 16 18:35:44 UTC 2005

hi Barry,

i am actually trying to configure something very similar, i believe.

i have remote offices that are connected to the home office via VPN
tunnels.  the remote offices have slave name servers on each office
network.  i am trying to configure the remote office name servers to
use the public facing (SOA) name server as a forwarder for the zone,
and then fall back on it's local internal slave file if the public
facing server doesn't have an entry for that query.

the flow i'm trying to accomplish is like this (and this is what i am
currently *trying* to get working):

looking up a host that has a DMZ address:
  1. user in a remote office looks up "mail.domain.com"
  2. the remote office name server forwards the request to the
external name server
      for the zone.
  3. an entry is found, so the slave server sends the answer to the user.

looking up an internal host that has no DMZ address:
  1. user in a remote office looks up "private.domain.com"
  2. the remote office name server forwards the request to the
external name server
      for the zone.
  3. no entry is found
  4. slave server then looks at it's local slave copy of the zone "domain.c=
om"
  5. an entry is found, the slave returns the local (VPN) answer to the use=
r.

i am trying to keep from maintaining more than two zones files
(internal and external) for this domain.  the whole reason for this
mess was an effort to build a more reliable DNS setup that isn't a
pain to maintain (like it is now).

i know there has got to be a way to accomplish this without resorting
to routing foo/other trickery, but it's really just escaping me.  is
it possible to configure bind to try multiple name servers until it
gets an answer?

i appreciate your assistance and your time,
nathan