Howto Combine Reverse Zones

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue May 17 13:35:50 UTC 2005

"JohnSmith" <fbrand at gmail.com> wrote:

>I know this is a BIND shop, but I couldn't find anywhere else where the
>people actually know what they are talking about.
>
>I have in my reverse zones the following scenario.
>
>10.1.1.x is a Standard Primary
>10.1.x.x is DDNS
>10.x.x.x is a Stand Primary
>
>What I want to do is clean this up so that I only have one 10.x.x.x
>zone and all the hierarchies beneath it, and make it an DDNS zone.
>In my 10.x.x.x and 10.1.1.x zones I currently have a lot of static
>configured entries and my 10.1.x.x zone has all the DDNS entries.
>
>## Firstly: Is it a good idea, or should I leave it as is, and why.
>
>##Secondly: How would I go about doing this, in a best practice kinda
>way, as this is on M$2000 servers.
>
>##Thridly: If they are merged into one zone, won't I stand the chance
>of losing my static entries as it goes DDNS? or how can this be
>prevented?

If the only DDNS subnet is 10.1.x.x, you can have a combined 10.x.x.x
zone and delegate the 10.1.x.x zone to a DDNS server.  You could run
BIND on W2k for the non-DDNS zone and run MS W2k DNS for the DDNS
zone.  I am assuming that the DDNS is all windows-related, and can take
advantage of MS secure DDNS.  I personally would separate the DDNS zone
from the static zone.

You have said nothing about the forward zone.  How that is configured
might affect how you set up the reverse zones.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov