zone transfer problem (newbie issue) - SOLVED!

Dave Stewart dstewart at aquaflo.com
Tue May 17 20:11:42 UTC 2005

Hi again all! I found the issue (see below)! Many thanks to all who
helped illuminate the path!
Begin forwarded message:

> From: Dave Stewart
> Date: May 17, 2005 12:15:45 PM PDT
> To: bind-users at isc.org
> Subject: RE: zone transfer problem (newbie issue)
>
> First off, thanks for the quick responses. My apologies for the delay
> in my response to them, it's kinda busy around here lately. That said
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Brad Knowles
>> Date: May 13, 2005 6:25:17 PM PDT
>> To: Dave Stewart
>> Cc: bind-users at isc.org
>> Subject: Re: zone transfer problem (newbie issue)
>>
>> At 4:51 PM -0700 2005-05-13, Dave Stewart wrote:
>>
>>>  So at this point, "rusty" can only resolve the zone's it's a master
>>>  for, yet "diagnostics" can resolve all zones. It appears to me
>>> after a
>>>  week of splitting my head open on this issue (searching archives,
>>>  documentation, O'Reilly's online "DNS and BIND", and any and all
>>>  tutorials and help files I can grab:) that "diagnostics" is
>>> approving
>>>  the request for a zone transfer, but then not sending a response
>>> back
>>>  to "rusty". To check this suspicion I ran the following on "rusty"
>>>  force a transfer:
>>
>> 	One thing to check is the firewall settings on both machines, as
>> well as on all the network equipment between them.  Most DNS queries
>> happen over UDP, but zone transfers are done over TCP.
>
> Good thought here, I didn't realize that the transfers would happen
> over TCP. But unfortunately for me, this isn't the issue. Everything
> I'm playing with here is behind the firewall.

Oops, my bad. I spoke to quickly, turns out there was an active
firewall on diagnostics that *WAS* blocking port 53 on me. Turn on
access to that port and my slave zones started transferring right away!

Many thanks again to Brad for being the first to point this possibility
out to me and to all others that gave input on my issue.

Since I'm so wet behind the ears on this, if someone notices something
very bad in my configuration files that somehow seems to be working
anyway, please feel free to let me know!

> [...]
>> #   - primary (master) server of all other zones
>> #
>> # created 4/2005 by Dave Stewart
>>
>> # "internal" defines all IP addresses within
>> # Aqua~Flo's internal LAN
>> acl internal {  localhost;              //obviously ;-)
>>                 192.168.11.0/24;        //ojai domain
>>                 192.168.12.0/24;        //goleta domain (central)
>>                 192.168.13.0/24;        //sc domain
>>                 192.168.14.0/24;        //sb domain
>>                 192.168.15.0/24;        //wla domain
>>                 192.168.16.0/24;        //vta domain
>>                 192.168.17.0/24;        //tor domain
>> };
>>
>> # "aquaflodns" defines all IP addresses that are
>> # allowed to do zone-transfers (all other DNS servers)
>> acl aquaflodns  {       localhost;
>>                         192.168.12.200;
>>                         192.168.12.210;
>> };
>>
>> # "spoof" defines all IP addresses that are simply
>> # blacklisted (untrusted addresses from RFC1918 space)
>> acl spoof {     0.0.0.0/8;
>>                 1.0.0.0/8;
>>                 2.0.0.0/8;
>>                 10.0.0.0/8;
>>                 172.16.0.0/12;
>>                 192.0.2.0/24;
>>                 224.0.0.0/3;
>> };
>>
>> # this is where the options for the BIND server
>> # are configured. Some notes:
>> #   1. only "internal" addresses are allowed to
>> # query this server and
>> #   2. all addresses from RFC1918 space are blacklisted
>> # (they are often used to spoof DNS servers)
>> options {
>>         directory "/etc/named";
>>         allow-query { internal; };
>>         allow-transfer { aquaflodns; };
>>         transfer-format one-answer;
>>         blackhole { spoof; };
>> };
>>
>> zone "goleta.aquaflo.com" {
>>         type slave;
>>         file "named.slave.goleta.hosts";
>>         masters { 192.168.12.200; };
>> };
>>
>> # slave reverse mapping for corporate machines (central)
>> zone "12.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
>>         type slave;
>>         file "named.slave.goleta.rev";
>>         masters { 192.168.12.200; };
>> };
>>
>> # mapping for ojai zone
>> zone "ojai.aquaflo.com" {
>>         type master;
>>         file "named.ojai.hosts";
>> };
>>
>> # reverse mapping for ojai zone
>> zone "11.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
>>         type master;
>>         file "named.ojai.rev";
>> };
>>
>> **********end diagnostics named.conf**********
>

> So, with my guts hanging out for all to see (no worries, it's all
> internal stuff anyway), does anyone see why I'm sick?
>
> Many thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. Keep in mind I'm
> just learning this stuff, if there is an unrelated obvious glaring
> issue with the above configurations please feel free to point it out

Dave Stewart
Aqua~Flo Supply (Goleta CA)
dstewart at aquaflo dot com

Those who understand binary and those who don't.