Underscores in Host Names

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Thu May 19 14:45:56 UTC 2005

In article <d6fubl$2fgu$1 at sf1.isc.org>, R.D. <rdwyer at quick-link.com> wrote:
>Hello all.
>We have a client containing an underscore in the email address domain
>name.  Our email server rejects it because of it's violation of the RFC
>standard.  This individuals claim is that he doesn't have problems
>anywhere else and if this is going to be a problem he's "going to take
>his business elsewhere"!
>
>I understand it's a violation of the standard, but does it pose a
>security hole to the email server to allow this sort of mail?
>Shouldn't this individual be experiencing probelms elsewhere. . . . I
>doubt I am the only one.
>
>Thanks

If I recall correctly, the reason for the restriction on the use of an
underscore is that there was a concern that it could be confused with a
dsah.  This could possibly cause a lot of frustration with mistyped names
and possibly a security problem if two names differed by only an underscore
verses a dash.
This would not be much of a security hole.  I would not loose business
over it.
--
Tom Schulz
schulz at adi.com