Partial local dns information - can I do this?

G 0kita goo13c at gmail.com
Fri May 20 13:40:47 UTC 2005

> Make dns.cluster authoritative for the zones named c.organization and
> d.organization:

Thanks for the response Barry.  The thing is that I have about 20 or
so individual machines (in the *.organization domain) I'd like to have
information for on the local dns.cluster.  I think I wasn't very clear
originally, let's try this again.  :)

request for machine1.cluster -> dns.cluster
Normal
request for machine2.organization -> dns.cluster -> dns.organization
Normal

request for machine3.organization -> dns.cluster
I've got several machines like machine3 which I'd like dns.cluster to
have information for, some of which appear in dns.organization's lists
and some of which don't.
If I understand your suggestion properly, I could get around this by
making authoritative zones for each machine and then the rest of the
requests for machine*.organization would go on to dns.organization.
- Won't the zone database for a machine3.organization zone have
problems using a NS record of dns.cluster?
- Seems like a lot of zones to have if each machine needs one.
- What I'd like to have is a ".organization" zone in dns.cluster which
has local information _but_ also asks out to dns.organization if it
doesn't have it locally.

Any ideas?
G.O.